Thursday, January 1, 2015

A New Year - A Fresh Start

Maybe it's because I'm finally an adult with three children to care for, or maybe it's because New Year's Eve literally crept up on me this year (I even forgot to buy champagne), but I am actually starting the year off fresh! New Year's Day is always a great time to put irony to the test when we make fantastic goals to live better in the New Year but actually start the day off with a lack of sleep, in last night's clothes, heaving into the toilet and smelling of various things we're supposed to be cutting out of our lives, like booze, cigarettes, and farts. 

This year we adopted the one word resolution. I suppose last year's was SIMPLE. This year we casually, quickly, and without much thought chose MOVE. Honestly when we first said this word it was for the singular reason that we need to physically move to a new home. Super creative I know. But, our 800 square foot house that we have been living in as a family of five is beginning to get a bit crowded. While the size of our home has been instrumental in simplifying our lives, there comes a time when you really do start to covet your friends' two and three bathroom homes. Imagine a bathroom the size of a powder room with five people in it, trying to shower, poop, brush teeth, and get ready for work. We do this on a daily basis, it works, most of the time nobody complains, and I don't even buy chemical air fresheners. But we're ready for more, ahem, breathing room.

The more I've thought about it though, the more I know that this is the PERFECT word for our family. At the risk of once again putting my foot in my mouth, NOW I believe we are ready for the next installment in our God-given adventure. This last year while I was so gung-ho about changing EVERYTHING and ALL AT ONCE I was told to stop, slow down, and listen when I, well, maybe bit off a bit more than I could chew. We didn't have everyone on board yet but now, with our third little one, and a cat, our family is...dare I say it? Complete. At least for the time being. And now we can move.

Move: To pass from one place or position to another. 
Move: To advance or progress. 
Move: To have a regular motion, as an implement or a machine. To turn. To Revolve. 
Move: To prompt, actuate, or impel to some action. 
Move: To arouse or excite the feelings or passions of; to affect with emotion. 

Move: An action toward an objective or goal.

Here we go.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself."
-Socrates

No comments:

Post a Comment